Posted: 09 Jan 2022
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
WATER & HABITAT ENGINEER
About the Job
The Water & Habitat (WatHab) Engineer plans, designs and implements engineering projects, monitors on-site works, carries out needs’ assessment, surveys and initiates new projects within the area of responsibility.
This is a national/resident position based in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares relevant documents, assessment reports, drawings, bills of quantities and project proposals for engineering projects using approved formats
- Monitors project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards, and the local building code/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary
- Ensures that material and equipment delivered to the sites are in the correct quantity and quality as per the requisition from the department
- Supports in identification of needs through assessments and surveys; shares results and findings with the Project Manager
- Supervises contractors working on project sites and conducts quality control of infrastructure installed by the ICRC
- Ensures that contract terms are understood and respected by the contractors
- Establishes a close working relationship and networks with the relevant stakeholders
- Monitors security issues related to project sites and provides regular information to the Project Manager
- Oversees hand-over of ICRC-provided infrastructure to end-users
- Prepares project implementation and progress reports and submits to the Project Manager
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Construction management or Architecture
- 4 years of professional experience in the supervision of civil engineering works, experience working with an international humanitarian organization is an asset
- Proficient in use of drawing softwares; AutoCAD or other relevant softwares
- Experience in managing technical support staff
- Detail-oriented, highly organised and practices strict adherence to timelines
- Excellent planning and reporting skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Computer proficiency especially in MS office suite
- Flexibility and willingness to travel extensively in Somalia
- Good knowledge of political, economic, social and cultural environment of this region
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organisation
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 21st January 2022. Clearly indicate the position title Water & Habitat Engineer Mogadishu in the subject line of your email message. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted, and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the link for information on data protection: Personal data protection information
………. FADLAN NAGUSOBIIR……