Posted: 22 Nov 2021
- CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Parliamentary Support Project – PSP II:
- Somalia has embarked upon a process of institutional change within a new constitutional framework after experiencing decades of violent conflict. The provisional constitution of the Somali republic was agreed & endorsed on 1 August 2012. The 9th parliament successfully completed its term of office & remained a stabilizing force. The 10th parliament, which was now bicameral in structure, was elected.
- The new bicameral arrangement has not worked well & has been a source of conflict. Based on an agreement that the 2 houses work together, new rules of procedure have been crafted to facilitate their cooperation. Whilst remaining as 2 separate institutions, they effectively started working as one institution of law making. This institutional arrangement would need further support.
- The relationship between the federal & member state govt’s have started changing & is being continuously negotiated. This changing relationship also impacted the relationship between the legislative bodies, particular from an accountability & communications point of view. To succeed, both members of parliament & the Parliamentary Secretariats would require continues support. Apart of the Somali Federal Parliament (SFP), functioning parliaments exist in Garowe / Puntland & in Hargeisa / Somaliland. Also, with the formation of the new FMS, new assemblies have been formed in Kismayo / Jubaland, Baidoa / Southwest, Dusamareb / Galmudug & Jowhar / Hirshabelle & will need continued support.
- In support of the new federal govt. & the people of Somalia, our client in Somalia is implementing a parliamentary support project. Notably, the project has been designed to support the houses of the Somali federal parliament, as well as the existing FMS parliaments of Puntland, Galmudug, Jubaland, Southwest & Hirshabelle to participate in the constitutional review process & fulfil their legislative & oversight functions.
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP Inclusive Politics Portfolio Manager & direct supervision of the Civil Society & Outreach Officer, the consultant will provide capacity development & institutional strengthening assistance to the FMS parliaments of Jubaland, Galmudug, Southwest & Hirshabelle, in line with the annual work plans which have been agreed in collaboration with UNDP, which focus on strengthening parliament’s core functions of oversight, law making & representation. The consultant will work with the UNDP parliamentary support team to provide high quality capacity development & institutional strengthening support to FMS parliaments with a focus on providing trainings to relevant committees & MPs of the state parliaments. The scope of work will include:
- Develop & deliver trainings on the role of Jubaland HoRs in the area of protection & promotion of human rights.
- Develop & deliver trainings to the committees & MPs of Jubaland HoRs on the parliamentary oversight role & holding executive accountable (Improving legislature – executive relations).
- Support & cofacilitate training for the MPs FMS parliaments of Galmudug & Hirshabelle on the Somali constitution review process.
- This role will work under the overall supervision of the UNDP Inclusive Politics Portfolio Manager & direct supervision of the Civil Society & Outreach Officer.
- Master’s Degree in Law, International Affairs, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communication, Social Studies Conflict Resolution or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience working with state bodies, parliamentary development, constitution review at a senior advisory leve.
- Experience of working in post conflict & crises settings, with dynamically changing conditions on the ground.
- Experience in provision of high level policy advise.
- Experience in legislative development processes in developing country contexts would be an asset
- Fluent in written & spoken Somali & English.
- Communication & problem solving.
- Capacity development / training.
- Analytical skills.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Final product / deliverables, reports to be provided:
- Progress & activity report after each block with number of days worked (activity report).
- Copies of policy / concept papers & draft outlines.
- Final report for completion of all deliverables as mentioned above.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Achievement of deliverables will be approved by our clients Inclusive Politics Portfolio Manager.
- Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor of time sheets for actual dates of work & consultant performance in accordance with activities & deliverables as reported in the deliverables table & the activity report.
- CTG Global Managed Services DMCC will provide all administrative & logistical support to CTG consultant during the contact period.
- Consultant should provide detail of work with number of days worked for each training.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: