Posted: 22 June 2022
INTERNSHIP: Hygiene Promotion and Training Officer-Hargeisa-6 months (Somali female applicants encouraged to apply)
Job no: 552121
Position type: Internship
Location: Somalia Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Hargeisa, Somalia
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Access
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of the internship
- To support WASH Section in Somaliland in addressing the needs of woman and children on Sanitation aspect and Hygiene. The internships will be responsible to provide training, as well as capacity building for UNICEF Implementing Partners (NGO), as well as to work closely with Ministry of Health, and Ministry of Education to address the challenge on WASH in Somaliland.
- To support WASH officers in Somaliland in the development, planning, implementation and monitoring of community based sanitation and hygiene programme in schools, and health facilities.
Main Tasks and responsibilities
In close collaboration with Ministry of Water Resources and Development, Ministry of Health, and Ministry of Education and Science, the national Internships will provide technical support for community based sanitation and hygiene promotion for 60 schools in Somaliland and 60 rural communities with below specific tasks:
- Facilitate to establish Water, Sanitation and Hygiene User Committees
- Conduct feasibility study of sanitation systems and hygiene
- Conduct an assessment of WASH situations in potential schools and health centres
- Initiate establishment of water safety & hygiene promotion training in selected communities and villages including schools and rural health clinic in cooperation with UNICEF partners
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, provide technical advice to take necessary actions to implement water supply, CLTS, WASH in schools and WASH in Health Facilities related activities.
- Monitor the progress of construction/upgrading of water supply systems and WASH facilities in schools and health centres
- Carry out programmatic visits in accordance with the agreed workplan
In close collaboration with Ministry of Health and implementing agency, the national consultant will provide technical assistance to prepare designs and estimates of WASH facilities in schools and rural WASH activities in particular Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS)
- The WASH Nos/IP – internships will be responsible to provide technical assistance to WASH Specialists (NO/IP)
- In close coordination & communication with WASH Officer, the internships will be supporting the coordination with related ministry and department, as well as supporting various field trips and programmatic visit to monitor WASH programme in Somaliland
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Should be female and in possession of a first-level university degree or be enrolled in a degree programme in Public Health and any other related field.
- Have no immediate relatives (e.g. father, mother, brother, sister) working in any UNICEF office plus no other relatives in the line of authority that the intern will report to.
- Fluency in English and Somali, both written and oral, is required.
- Knowledge of relevant computer systems and applications; excellent knowledge of MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) is desirable.
The selected candidate will be identified through a transparent process involving a test and/or interview; The intern will sign the Statement of Understanding of Internship/Fellowship Conditions before report to work The intern should have medical insurance. The intern will be requested to submit a short report of internship The supervisor will assess the intern’s performance, and a Final Evaluation for UNICEF Interns will be provided
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Innovates and embraces change
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- works collaboratively with others
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Individuals engaged under an internship will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of internships. Internships are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Individual on internships are required to provide proof of medical insurance.
Advertised: Jun 21 2022 E. Africa Standard Time Application close: Jul 04 2022 E. Africa Standard Time
………. FADLAN NAGUSOBIIR……