Posted: 25 Nov 2021
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
As a member of the Action Against Hunger Somalia Country Office, the Head of
- Summary of Position
As a member of the Action Against Hunger Somalia Country Office, the Head of Food Security, Livelihoods and Resilience Department will provide managerial, technical and oversight support to the Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and Disaster Risk Management interventions, and be part of the broader Food Security & Livelihoods initiatives at the Country, Network and regional levels. Department will provide managerial, technical and oversight support to the Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and Disaster Risk Management interventions, and be part of the broader Food Security & Livelihoods initiatives at the Country, Network and regional levels.
The Head of FSL and Resilience Department Provides technical leadership to Action Against Hunger’s nutrition security programs through context analysis, development of strategic FSL & R priorities and promotion of technical innovations and learning capitalization.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE:
- Support the analysis of the humanitarian context through high quality field assessments, consultation with stakeholders and collection/analysis of secondary data.
- Ensure that relevant stakeholders have a clear understanding of Action Against Hunger charter, background, program objectives and activities in the field.
- Collaborate and support the establishment of strategic partnerships with other institutions that can support Action Against Hunger work amplifying the impact of Action Against Hunger work in Somalia.
- Create links with various technical actors working in the same geographical areas of intervention and develop partnerships where relevant and appropriate.
- Actively participate in national coordination meetings and co-lead Clusters or Cash Working Groups as necessary
- Represent Action Against Hunger externally and coordinate with government authorities, NGOs, UN agencies and donor representatives as necessary.
- Ensure harmonization and coherence of program approach and activities across all program bases with the development of project implementation plans and regular follow-up, including the follow-up of APR and analysis with budget and logistics follow-up.
- Supervise/provide technical support to field PMs and conduct regular field visits.
- Conduct technical review of internal and external reports to support Action Against Hunger obligations to donors.
- Ensure a close and regular coordination with other technical departments for overall program coherence; and support departments (logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and budget follow-ups, human resources planning and overall staff management.
- Validate the key stages and methodologies of the projects being undertaken (timetable, baseline/final surveys methodology and analysis, technical studies, call for tender, specifications, community approaches, external evaluations etc…)
- Serve as lead on new proposal development, produce technical and necessary parts of proposals in accordance with donor formats and deadlines, and ensuring close coordination with all the relevant technical and support sectors of ACF and partner organizations.
- Provide technical leadership in responding to emergencies, market-based programming, innovation, protection, environment and nutrition sensitive programming in the Livelihoods and Food Security sector.
- Identify, propose and develop new program orientations, strategies and activities.
- Draw from the strategic plan, other mission documents and broader analysis to identify new geographical areas of interest and or confirm existing areas.
- Develop strategic positioning for the technical department in close consultation with field teams and other technical departments, as appropriate.
- Contribute to integrated surveillance through input on development of tools, analysis and interpretation, etc., as appropriate.
- Build staff capacity on new and emerging areas of FSL/DRM & Resilience
DOES THIS DESCRIPTION FIT YOU?
- Master’s degree in food security, Agricultural Education and Extension, Agricultural/Applied Economics, Agribusiness Management, Food Policy and Applied food science, Veterinary Sciences, or related courses.
- At least 7 years’ experience in food systems, nutrition sensitive agriculture, livelihoods, natural resource management and Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Experience working in humanitarian and development contexts, recovery and rehabilitation as well as with national governments, regional bodies, UN agencies and INGOs.
- Excellent knowledge of technical fields related to Food Security & Livelihoods that includes excellent working knowledge of food security, Market systems and nutrition sensitive resilience.
- Sound analytical and technical competence in the subject matter of food security and livelihoods
- Field experience in FSL programming, including agro ecology, value chain analysis, income generation, emergency food assistance, COD, HEA, etc.
- Strong analytical and writing skills is essential.
- Knowledge and experience in assessment and research methods.
- Strong organizational skills and technical review/writing of detailed technical documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Capacity to represent the organization in various fora.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to apply
To apply please click on the link below:
Action Against Hunger – Current Openings (workable.com)
…………. FADLAN NAGUSOBIIR……