Posted: 19 June 2022
The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Area Manager, the Finance Officer is responsible for day today financial activities of the area office, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point in terms of the day to day financial activities of the area.
Accounting / Finance
- Create cost and PO Invoices in DRC Dynamics ensuring that all the necessary supporting documents are fully approved and attached in DRC Dynamics.
- Support budget development for new proposals and ensure support cost are adequately budgeted
- Follow up pending invoices in the system and inform budget holders on the status of the invoices.
- Review staff expense reports and process payments for staff claims
- Review and post partner expenses in DRC Dynamics on monthly basis.
- Organize monthly BFU meetings and circulate meeting minutes
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Monthly national staff salary allocation in DRC Dynamics ensuring that proper cost allocation is followed across grants.
- Review monthly payroll and ensure payment is done within the same month.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request is prepared, compiled, and forwarded to Finance Specialist.
- Review outstanding advances and follow up with the relevant staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Ensure monthly closure of accounts into the Dynamic System.
- Train new finance and non-finance staff regarding finance procedures and DRC Dynamics finance module.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop Master Budgets for DRC area office and ensure the data is accurate.
- Support the Finance Team Leader in monthly BFU/TDL review meeting & monitor actual spending.
- Support the finance team leader on review of donor budget preparation and revision of the same.
- Ensure closing projects are reviewed and clean up is done before financial reporting
- Support in preparing and updating partner financial reporting.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Support the finance team leader in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC follows the same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Coordinate with Area Manager and HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This includes taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Area Manager in coordinating with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 3 years of relevant and practical work experience in accounting and financial management with an international organization, and preferably in the Somalia context, with proven experience managing large budgets
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent Professional Qualification
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training.
- Proven experience in working with national partners, and local/government authorities
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency in Excel spreadsheet and able to work with PowerPoint and Word.
- Good communication skills and full professional proficiency in English.
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines, self-motivated and proactive.
- Honest and trustworthy person.
- English – fluent with the capacity to produce well-written products for formal reporting and communication
- Honest, hardworking, and independent
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Availability: July 2022
Duty station: Galkayo
Reporting to: Area Manager
Duration: 10 Months with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band H-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. The cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 29th June 2022.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/job support