Posted: 21 June 2022
Purpose: The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization that was founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. It was then recognized by the ICRC in 1969 and in the same year became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent societies.
SRCS Somaliland is currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill the vacant position of DRM Officer for the Pilot Programmatic Partnership (PPP), funded by ECHO. PPP project is implemented by SRCS, under the grant management responsibility of the Finnish Red Cross (lead partner), together with the Norwegian Red Cross and the Danish Red Cross. The project will be implemented over a 3-year period, starting in May 2022. The first year of implementation covers the period May 22 – April 23.
Over all job purpose
The main long-term goal of the project is to strengthen SRCS systems and capacities for effective and efficient disaster response. The project consists of 3 main components: disaster risk management (DRM), epidemic/pandemic preparedness, and cash and voucher assistance (CVA).
The Branch-level DRM Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of tasks agreed by the project management team, liaison with community representatives and volunteers, management of allocated funds, and reporting to the SRCS PPP project manager for Somaliland, based in Hargeisa (project-related management) and to the respective Branch Coordinator (general line-management).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure timely implementation of planned activities in the branch, and alert the project manager on any anticipated delays or other difficulties.
- Establish close links with community representatives and volunteers in operational areas through continuous field presence, and provide day-to-day support and guidance in their work.
- Providing technical support to the DRM and CVA components of the project at a community level, including community-based DRR, Disaster Preparedness (DP stocks, warehousing, logistics), cash distribution, and preparedness activities – depending on technical profile and under the direction and guidance of PPP Project Manager.
- Manage allocated funds in a diligent way, in accordance with plans and approved procedures.
- Prepare regular activity and financial reports in accordance with agreed templates and standards and submit them to the PPP Project Manager.
- Work closely with the branch finance officer, oversee the budget implementation and discuss necessary action with the finance officer and PPP project manager.
- Ensure diligent use of project vehicles and fuel consumption, according to agreed procedures.
- Facilitate field visits by the project manager and other SRCS staff, PNS partners, and external visitors.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the SRCS and wider RC/RC goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager or delegated to another staff member by the line Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
Bachelor’s in Disaster Management, Public/Community Health, Community Development, Public Administration, and Social Sciences.
DRR and Climate change trainings, Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation
Required Job Experience and Competencies
- Minimum 3 years of planning, and implementing humanitarian security operations such as droughts and floods
- a humanitarian or development organization.
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding integrity and ethics
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Comfortable with cash handling
- Mathematical skills and the ability to handle transactions quickly and accurately
- Positive, helpful attitude toward employees, including the ability to speak clearly and convey information accurately
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide easily and quickly
- Maturity & confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking officials
- Remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Respond positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
- Proficiency in computer office packages word, excel, powerpoint.
- Ability to read and understand instructions
- Demonstrate proficiency in Somali and English languages
SRCS offers a contract of one year, renewable depending on both funding and performance.
Salary and Benefits are according to SRCS terms of employment for national staff.
How to apply
- Interested candidates should email their updated CV, cover letter, and relevant certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org before or on 4th July 2022.
- Kindly mention the position you are applying for in your email subject line and in your cover letter.
- You should have the willingness to work and travel to the villages and towns under the Sahil region.
- Please note that SRCS has Zero-Tolerance for Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA)
- Applications that do not meet the above requirements will not be considered, Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
………. FADLAN NAGUSOBIIR……