Posted: 12 October 2021
Place: ETHIOPIA (Addis-Abeba) Starting date: 01/01/2022
Length: 36 months Closing date for applications: 01/11/2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
The Federation is responsible for implementing the network’s social missions in around sixty countries. It operates under the names “Humanity & Inclusion” or “Handicap International” depending on the country.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
Humanity & Inclusion has been implementing development and humanitarian interventions in Ethiopia since 1986. HI was working in the area of physical rehabilitation, inclusive education, mine risk education, community based rehabilitation, HIV and AIDS, capacity building of local associations of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), inclusive sexual reproductive health, protection and recently on COVID 19 response. HI has also been implementing protection projects for Internally Displaced Persons and South Suddenness Refugees. Currently, HI is implementing an inclusive protection projects in Somali region, Liben Zone (Filtu and Deka Suftu districts) and Benshangul Gumuz region, Kamashi zone as well as integrated multi-sectoral lifesaving response to conflict and climate induced affected IDPs in Somali, Oromia, Southern Nation Nationalities People (SNNP) regions, Benshangul Gumuz region, Kamashi zone and Gambela refugee camp.
HI promotes an inclusive approach by focusing on access to services for all whenever possible rather than developing specific actions for people with disabilities. HI works not only with people with disabilities and other vulnerable populations, but also with their families, their communities, and the society.
HI Ethiopia also signed strategic partnership agreement with different International NGOs with commitment to support their programs are inclusive humanitarian action.
To carry out HI’s Strategy in Ethiopia and Somalia, we are looking for our new Country Director for the next 3 years
Under the direct responsibility and support of the Geographic Director for CESAN (HQ based), management the mission of over 100 staff and 9 direct reports, you will be responsible for:
- You are the main interlocutor of Handicap International towards authorities, institutional donors, humanitarian actors and partners;
- You participate actively to coordination and information meetings;
- You represent the organisation, its activities and programs during delegation visits in EthioSom
- In coordination with the Regional Communication Officer, you respond to media solicitations.
STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT OF OPERATIONS
§ You ensure the implementation of the global strategy, including emergency, recovery and development intervention;
- You regularly follow up humanitarian needs, donors’ strategies, financing opportunities into the intervention area;
- You regularly update and adapt the Programme strategy to the context;
- You lead and/or organize assessment missions for the development of new activities/projects;
- You ensure and coordinate the projects’ proposal design (renewal of projects or new projects);
- You discuss proposal submitted towards potential donors and negotiate related budgets at country level.
Supervision AND monitoring
§ You ensure the smooth coordination between the different components: emergency, recovery and development;
- You ensure the coherence and the homogeneity of all projects under your responsibility
- You organise and animate team coordination meetings;
- You guarantee the respect of applicable logistics and administrative procedures through the supervision of the Support Services Coordinator;
- You are responsible for the monthly follow up of the budgets through management of the finance coordinator;
- You are responsible for the transparency of acquisition, utilisation and follow up of all materials and equipment dedicated to the Programme through management of the logistics coordinator;
- You are responsible for eligibility and good utilisation of funds allocated to the projects.
- You ensure that cross cutting subjects are included in the project discussion, development and implementation and that the expatriate and national team receive an adequate awareness (eg: gender, Inclusion, PSEA)
- You directly manage the Humanitarian Access and Security Manager of the Programme;
- Update security plans in collaboration with the Security Management Team (Country level), the Security Advisor and the Geographic Director (HQ based);
- Ensure the strict respect of any applicable security measures;
- Lead regular meeting with the Security Management Team of the country
- Contribute to the regional geopolitical information update : intelligence, sources crossing, interagency sharing information;
- Conduct security assessment visit in new potential areas of intervention.
- Coordinate implementation of any emergency security procedure (evacuation, hibernation, etc.) and ensure link with HQ in such cases.
- You ensure strict application and respect of the General Terms and Conditions of engagement for international staff of Handicap International. You contribute to define certain HR rules taking into account the specific context of the mission (security, social life, breaks, etc.) and by applying HI International Package;
- You ensure feed back towards your team about issues potentially raised by them;
- You ensure a good communication – coordination – information level of each member of your team through regular coordination meetings (or other if needed);
- You are concerned and aware of individual and professional evolution of each expatriate, and its development within the Programme : individual interviews, oral and written evaluations;
- You ensure conflict resolution (individual and professional) within your team and inform the Geographic Director;
- You propose relevant adaptation to the organisational chart of the Programme and contribute to its implementation (job descriptions, etc.), in collaboration with the expatriate team and the Geographic Director.
- You ensure production of internal monthly sitreps;
- You regularly update donors on projects follow up (through contractual obligations or ad-hoc reports);
- You regularly update Regional Representatives, field offices and other HQ-based departments (newsletter, activity report etc…)
- You provide the Geographic Director with a mission report and/or handover document at the end of your assignment;
- Debriefing at HQ at the end of your mission (and during Home-Break).
SUPPORT TO OTHER PROGRAMMES OF THE REGION
- Ensure a good coordination with the other Program Directors of CESAN;
- Facilitate the implementation of cross boarding activities when necessary.
· You hold a degree in international relation or any related field
· You have at least 5 years’ experience at key management position within international organizations, including in a tensed and volatile context with strict security measures;
· Management experience in humanitarian programs in Eastern Africa is an asset.
· You show strong interpersonal and intercultural skills and excellent communication skills and commitment to team work;
· You are able to work under high pressure and without constant supervision;
· You are keen on developing links and continuum between relief activities and development oriented projects;
· You are motivated by constant program adaptation to an evolving context and set up of partnerships with local and international partners;
· You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, co-ordination and transfer of knowledge;
· You show proven experience in negotiations with institutional donors, project writing and reporting.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
Long time tensions between the Federal Government and Tigray’s ruling party (Tigray People’s Liberation Front – TPLF) have been escalating since the unilaterally held regional elections on Sept. 2020, while the national elections were postponed due to the COVID-19. On 3 Nov. 2020, the TPLF attacked the Ethiopian National Defense Forces (ENDF) Northern Command. In response, the Ethiopian Prime Minister ordered a military offensive against the TPLF.
Three months after, while the war was officially declared over after capturing Mekelle in December, localized fighting continued. Since, much territory has been retaken by Tigray forces and the conflict has spread over into Amhara and Afar regions. So far 2.3 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance as a result of the conflict, including food, water, sanitation and hygiene, protection, health (including psychosocial support), safety and security, and access to public services. There are 222,413 internally displaced persons in Tigray only. 60,000 persons fled to neighboring Sudan and the Eritreans refugees present in the region prior the conflict faced the destruction of their camps and forced return to Eritrea. Several reports started to flag serious human rights and international humanitarian law violations. The humanitarian community support high-level advocacy, negotiating access to scale up operational capacity. The insecurity, the ongoing fighting, the bureaucratic hurdles and the telecommunications cuts off are the main challenges for humanitarian actors.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
· 36 months International contract **
· The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:**
o Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals**
o Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 272.53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount**
o Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution **
o Repatriation insurance paid by HI**
· Salary from 3232 € gross/month upon experience
· Perdiem: 472,90 € net/month – paid in the field
· Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
· R&R: according to the level of the mission Level 1: 1 day per month
§ Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects (from 12 months of mission)
§ Mission of more than 12 months : a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
o open to couples (from 12 months of mission)
§ Support travel costs (air ticket & visa) for accompanying dependent and health/ repatriation insurance if the dependent has no income/
§ Mission of more than 18 months: payment of one yearly additional return flight
o open to families (more than 12 months) : package familial
§ a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
§ Contribution to school registration fees for children over 3 years
§ Family-wide health coverage
· Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects **
· Housing: Individual taken in charge by HI**
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the above link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
…………. FADLAN NAGUSOBIIR……